Search & Win
Women's Clothing and Accessories with Aloha!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Georgia on my mind

Georgia was one of Michael Vick's fighting dogs.  A pit bull.  In fact, she was one of his prized, top fighting pit bull.  A winning dog.  A "TOP DOG."

Then, her fighting days were over.  Time for her to bring in the money another way.  She needed to make some prize winnin' babies.  Now, after fighting for so long, she certainly didn't know how to be friendly with other dogs, so some lovey-dovey breedin' wasn't going to happen.  No, Georgia's teeth had to be completely removed, surgically and professionally (what kind of surgeon or veterinarian, I ask, would agree to this?), from her mouth.  Now the issue of submission, because a female dog must submit to act of copulation.  Well, that might have been a problem, because in amongst Michael the Dick's confiscated items was this particular piece, which was designed to strap a female dog to, rendering her helpless to be ...well, raped.  Yes, raped.  Why is it any less a rape because she is a dog?  She was forcefully, against her will, and with absolutely no way to fight back or defend herself, raped, repeatedly, and forced to conceive.  Then her puppies were sold off, for upwards of 10 grand apiece.




Now, is it any wonder than shelters called her un-rehabilitatable?  That she seemed like a "mean" dog?  That her aggressive nature seemed to prevail?  Her whole life had been spent either fighting to live, or being abused in horrible ways, and losing perhaps the one thing that her instincts were telling her to love and nurture over and over.  And all this being done to her by HUMANS.  By MEN.

When I first heard Georgia's story, I cried.  Like a baby, I sobbed.  I wanted to grab and protect her.  I wanted to bring her home.  I would have flown out in a heartbeat to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and adopted her on the spot.  I instantly felt a deep, protective love for her.  She has come a long way, that girl.  With love, patience, training, and time, they have brought out a beautiful girl who is learning to trust and love.  She plays and grins, she's earned her canine good citizen award.  She wears a bucket on her head and loves the rain.  But I have children, and I have two other dogs.  Two big strikes against me, as a potential owner.  She needs a home without other dogs, and with no children, they say, and I can understand why, and it makes sense for her.  My own issues of trust, my own issues with men, with people, and my way of attaching to dogs would make me a perfect companion to Georgia, I just know it--and if it was just me, you can bet we would already be together!  I feel attached to her in such a strange way.  I hope she finds a home--I hope somebody else connects with her, and she connects with somebody else.  If not, I know she will live out a happy life at Best Friends, and if she stays there, you can just bet I will be spending time with her when I travel to go do my volunteer time there in the next year!

Please check Georgia's profile, and the profile of hundreds of other ready to adopt animals by clicking Best Friends
(shown here with trainer, John Garcia)

I love you, Georgia!  

Note:  It is important to know that Georgia is not the only dog that this was done to.  There were many, many others.  One dog, Merrill, is court ordered to never leave Best Friends Sanctuary, because she was considered so "dangerous."  Other dogs have been rehabilitated and adopted into loving homes.  The damage Michael Vick and others have done is long lasting, not only to the dogs they directly hurt, but to bully breeds as a whole, perpetuating a stereotype and the myth of the "vicious Pit Bull."  While Vick "did his time," one can argue that it was not nearly enough for the damage he caused.  


No comments:

Post a Comment